[pct-l] Re: conditioning

Here's a little of what I've learned as a now 54-year old ex-ex-ex-marathoner
who 3 years ago had to end a week-long trip prematurely due to a knee problem:

1. Experiment, experiment, experiment. Training for marathons, I learned that
the only thing that counts is what works for *my* body; the only way to find
that out is get some ideas, try them out, do more of what works, and less of
what doesn't. I kept training diaries so I could compare various regimens, and
note where I was in my fitness level each year--I do this for hiking, too, so I
can now tell fairly accurately how ready I am for a tough hike. It took me
several years to learn how to effectively train for a marathon and it is taking
me several to learn how to train effectively for long hikes. Listen to your
body--it speaks volumes if you know how to interpret what it's saying.

2. I'm finding that, for me, running isn't necessary for dealing with altitude
as long as my training hikes include enough steep, long hills (for cardio work)
and I plan the hike sensibly (see below). I have also found that lots of running
was working to keep me in good enough shape for short mileage days with a light
day pack, but was not sufficient for long mileage days (>15) with a heavy-ish
pack (25-35 lbs). For me, there is just no substitute for getting out there and
doing training hikes with a realistic pack weight (which I work up to).

3. As I've aged, my training takes longer to achieve the same effect because my
body just recovers slower. Eight weeks isn't enough for me; for the past two
years, I've trained for 5 months, the early months being ones in which I
increase my mileage and pack weight gradually. I try to get the last 8 weeks at
slightly more than full mileage and at ultimate pack weight. I taper the
training for the last two weeks to let my body heal any small injuries and to
regain full energy (my workouts are fairly brutal). I don't mind training for 5
(or more) months because I prefer to stay in good shape all year round, even
though I'm not doing real hiking trips during the winter; but I don't train
really hard until a few months before the trip.

4. My ultimate workouts are on a trail that has some hills of 1600' gain, over a
couple of miles, some sections of which are so steep I can hardly walk up them.
The total workout is about 20 miles, with 3-4000' of gain, same loss. When fit,
it takes about 8 hours carrying a 30-lb pack, but I intentionally hike fast and
hard (by my standards)--when I hike "for real" I take more rests and walk more
slowly. My goal is to make my training hikes harder than any single day of my
trip--I want the trip to seem "easy". I do this hike once/week. I do shorter
walks (no pack) during the week, most of which are hilly and last a couple of
hours--I walk briskly. These seem to help, especially with keeping the muscles
loose. It takes a couple of months of easier hiking to get fit enough to do the
tough hikes--in other words, I have to train to get fit enough to train! I
didn't run at all during my prep for the JMT--I wanted to, I just couldn't find
the time. My conclusion is that storming up the hills during training gave me
enough cardio work that the running wasn't necessary (though I'm sure it would
have helped).

5. Living at sea level I have been concerned with adjusting to altitude. I was
especially concerned this year, since I was planning to do the JMT and do it in
16 days--high altitudes and not a lot of time to acclimate. From my training and
hiking last year, I found I needed a couple or three days to really adjust to
9,000', so in planning my hike this year, I took a deep breath and scheduled 14
miles for day 1, with 5,000' gain, ending at about 8500'. Then I planned the
next two days to be almost ridiculously easy: 10 and 12 miles with only about
500-1000' of gain/loss each day. Then I scheduled the rest of the days at 14-19
miles with some heavy duty gain and loss. It worked. The first day was tough,
but no worse than one of my tough training hikes. The next two days seemed too
easy. After that, the rest of the days worked out just fine. The point here is
not "do what I did". It is "find out, by actual experimentation, what you need
to do, and do that". As you see, I still took a "risk"--I didn't know whether my
training was adequate for that first day, but I figured, based on my training,
that with some short days to recover I could pull it off. I also figured I could
cut the first day short if I needed to, and still do all right overall. In other
words, plan in some flexibility so the trip doesn't have to end if you make an
initial miscalculation.

6. After my knee injury several years ago, I became an ultralighter "instantly"
in about 3 months. It took a lot of reading, testing, shopping, and gear-making,
but it really helped. Base load is 10-12 lbs for the JMT or any long hike. I
also do leg extension exercises to strengthen the quads--really helps stabilize
the knee (many knee injuries are due to weak quads, BTW). I just filled a stuff
sack with gravel, sit on a table or bench, balance the sack between my ankles
and do 30-50 reps (I work up to it over the year) several times per week.

It will probably take several seasons to learn how to train effectively. This is
normal--it takes distance runners years to figure this stuff out. It's made
harder because each year (hopefully) your body is fitter and therefore can take
tougher training, but is also older and injures more easily. It's always an
educated crap shoot :-)

I'd be happy to answer any questions you (or others) might have....

   --Steve