[pct-l] The Diabetic Backpacker

> I want recipes for the non-cooking-diabetic backpacker.

You are in luck.  These days with the "zone", "south beach" etc diets,
there are a lot of good recipes floating around.  On the pre-packaged
front I would look at Zone Perfect and Balance bars.  If you are
somewhere warm, stay away from the yogurt and chocolate coatings since
they will melt.  Balance has a line of "outdoor" bars which tend to be
more appropriate for harsh conditions.  You can typically find good
prices on these at Trader Joes or Walmart (e.g. <=$1/bar... not the
crazy $2-3 charged some places).

You might also what to do a google search on Pemmican which is a mix
of meat and fruit.  There are a number of dry meats and cheeses which
have a good shelf (pack) life which can be combined with low fat pita
chips, durable crackers, etc.

I keep a small list of basic ideas at

http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/food.html

I will try to update this page with likes to some of my favoriate
reciepes in the next week or two.

--mark