[pct-l] The Diabetic Backpacker

I am (and have been since 1987) a Type 2 diabetic. I controlled my blood
sugar for several years with diet and exercise, then for several years with
oral medication, and now with insulin injections. I have carried insulin on
the trail for about ten years. I do eat three meals a day (none very heavy)
and some light snacks at home. On the trail, I do reduce my insulin
considerably and I tend to have more snacks and lighter meals. I think your
regimen of many snacks and no real meals would also do better for me. I
mention all this, because my experience tells me that all diabetics are
really somewhat different and unique and they need to manage things
differently. That being said, I think there is a lot of commonality of
acceptable foods, even if portions and distribution vary. Foods that I find
good to use on the trail include the following:
	- Balance Bars --- They are 40/30/30 in carbs/protein/fat and are cheapest
at Trader Joe's. There are some other similarly balanced bars, but I am not
familiar with them and I like the flavors of Balance Bars. This balance
does not initially spike your blood sugar, and they were marketed to
diabetics when they were still made by a small company in Santa Barbara
before Kraft bought them.
	- Sourdough bread, tortillas with preservative. (I can also eat other
breads, e.g. bagels if they don't have too much sugar, but I usually stayed
away from them before I started on insulin.)
	- Granola --- Most are loaded with sugar, but there are some that don't
use sugar or use a little grape juice as a sweetener. (Trader Joe's has one
of the latter that I buy.)
	- Italian-style dried salami
	- Tuna in water in foil pouches (I guess you mentioned this.)
	- Peanut butter brands that don't add any sugar; many do.
	- Dehyrdated fruit within limits (Be careful; some have sugar added.)
	- Cheese (This keeps surprisingly well.)
	- Dehydrated vegetables, e.g. zucchini, carrots
Sorry for duplicating things you already mentioned. I hope this helps.

				Phil

At 07:14 PM 10/28/04 -0400, you wrote:
>Here one that I bet even this list can not answer.
>
>I want recipes for the non-cooking-diabetic backpacker.  This includes
snacks, breakfast, lunch, and supper.  I have a new vacuum machine, which I
like a lot (Roberta Cobb recommendation).  This is looking very good for
taking things on the trail and making them last a lot longer.  That gives
me some more flexibility.

>I think low-cab bars are something to investigate.  I am looking at low
sugar peanut butter/breads, some nuts/seeds, cheese & some crackers, tuna
in water, Pringles, and popcorn.
>I also would like to take some bagels and cream cheese if I can find low
sugar stuff.

>I have to eat periodically and no big meals while I hike.  Use it as I go.
 Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.