[pct-l] Pre-training

"The best way to get in shape to do a long hike is to
do a long hike."  There is some truth to that
statement.

The best way to get in shape for a marathon is to run.
The best way to get in shape for a bike race is to
bike.
Etc.

Having said all that, if you are in generally good
shape to begin with, your trek of the PCT will be much
easier.

Doing local hikes 2-3 days a week is a great way to
start. Some light running (3 miles at 10 minutes a
mile) 1 or 2 days a week will also help immensley with
your lungs and heart. As with training for a run,
cross training is also helpful. Make a habit of biking
places to do errands. For example, by biking to works
5 days a week I get in an easy 1/2 hr of exercise,
throw in some errands and it probably ads about 45
minutes of exercise for 5 days on average. (Of course
my bike needs to be tuned up..sigh).

Guess what I am trying to say is that nothing but a
long hike can really prepare you for a long hike BUT
being in good cardio shape to start with will cerainly
help A LOT.

FWIW, every long hike that I start, tend to be in
better shape than the previous hike. Six years ago I
cold not have done the pace I did on the CT. Now I
run regularly, bike a lot of places, am out every
weekend and tend to be in better shape.

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com