[pct-l] Re: Fwd: Wanderlust Gear

> I should qualify this since I don't mean to trash the Squall. The
> Squall works well in most conditions with the exception of high
> winds. It's not wind worthy but nor is the Squall.

Whoops I meant to compare the Squall with the GoLite Lair 1 (I also
have a Integral Designs Siltarp). Sorry for the confusion.

> From: Mark Verber <verber@gmail.com>
> I am curious what your definition of "high winds".  Earlier this year
> I measured (using a Brunton ADC) wind speeds of 45mph.  The squall did
> fine.  I experienced very slight deflection once I pitched the
> tarptent a bit lower to the ground than what I normally do.  This was
> without using side tieouts. The only problem I had was stakes pulling
> up,

Well I can't tell you the wind speed, but I can certainly tell you
about a wonderful place to test the merits of a tarp tent in the wind:
Lake South America. I've camped there several times, but only once did
I have to run down my tent in the middle of the night.

> From: Lonetrail@aol.com
> I remember when they use to classify gear by the  seasons. Two season, three
> seasons and four seasons etc.
> I love my Tarptent for late spring, to Early fall. Therefore I would call  my
> Tarptent a two season tent. I would not be caught dead in a bad winter  storm
> in my Tarptent for that matter any of the Tarp type tents.

October is early Fall in the Sierra. So if you use your Tarptent in
the early Fall you would have been caught in a lot of snow earlier
this month, wouldn't you? Actually the Tarptent, Lair and the Siltarp
can handle a little snow; the Siltarp can handle quite a bit of snow
as I unexpectedly discovered several years ago in the early Fall.

Dave