[pct-l] Time off for long distance hikesRe:

Many of the long distance hikers I met out on the trail were at some
transition point in their lives. Many were either recently done with
school or taking a break before grad school. Others were recently
divorced or had quit jobs in order to go. Ultimately, it just has to be
important enough to _you_ to take the time out of the rest of your life to
go hike.

I was lucky in that I was able to get a leave-of-absence to do my
thru-hike. Like most employers, they acted like it would be the end of the
world if I was gone for more than a few weeks much less multiple months. I
told my boss that I really wanted to do this and _had_ to go. Strangely
enough, things hadn't fallen apart without me.

If you're dreaming of a long distance hike somewhere, find a way to make
it possible and just go. Life is too short not to strive towards those
things that make you happy.

-Karl

Karl Brandt
http://people.ucsc.edu/~kbrandt/