[pct-l] Re: PCT-L digest, Food for thought

> Message: 7
> From: Montedodge@aol.com
> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 22:18:08 EDT
> To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
> Subject: [pct-l] Food for thought
> 250lb strong men and 110lbs grammothers are all the same
> playing field when armed. There is no reason good honest citizens
shouldn't
> be able to defend themselves against robbers, thieves or terrorist.

Monte
I also wondered what the outcome would have been if the hijackers were faced
by citizens capable of self defense.  I like to think that all those lives
in NY and Wash would have been spared but I expect that the hijackers would
have had more and bigger guns and that the fourth plane would have hit its
intended target resulting in an even greater loss of lives.
I know that if I'd had something more than my 110lbs. to defend myself
against the driver of a vehicle that appeared willing to run me over I would
perhaps have taken a life to save a backpack, or maybe I would have died
trying to save it, or, best outcome, I'd have the backpack and the thieves
would be in jail, or, worst outcome, I would have shot an innocent person.
There are too many variables there for this 110lb. grandmother to ever want
to carry a firearm although I must admit to initially being angry enough to
consider arming myself.
I prefer to continue to trust in the inherent goodness of people, admittedly
a sometimes hard thing to do, to accept that "what will be, will be" as
regards black bear and people encounters and to believe that possessions are
ultimately not terribly important.  I prefer to only be quick to protect my
right to not bow or kneel before anyone or anything, and that right does not
require that I carry a firearm in present day America.  I realize that
others have differing views and that they are not necessarily wrong.
I really enjoyed meeting and talking with you and wish I'd gone with you to
the campground and later the kop.  I hope to see you again next year when my
husband will be hiking the PCT.
Helen