[pct-l] Bear Encounters, Attacks Grow

Since you admit to not actually using steath camping, it seems to me that you are not in a position to say whether it works or not.

I have never used a bear cannister, so I try not to judge it.  I am just trying to provide information to the people on the list about what works for me.

In my view, cannisters are too expensive and weigh too much. My empty pack only weighs 1lb 9 oz, so carrying a cannister would be like carrying two packs for me.  However, I realize that people who dont mind carrying heavier packs and more gear with more gadgets and creature comforts may not mind the additional 1.5 lbs.  There are many different styles of hiking, backpacks, footwear, shelters, sleeping systems, clothing preferences, food preferences, AND bear-avoidance tactics.  To each, his own.  Hike your hike.

peace,
dude