[pct-l] After the Hike

Smiling works anywhere anytime. Try it more!

-----Original Message-----
From: AaronandCory@netscape.net [mailto:AaronandCory@netscape.net]
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 3:39 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] After the Hike

Forgive me, I have only done parts of the PCT, but after my AT thru-hike I
noticed a couple of different things that depressed me:

1.  Drive thrus- any and all.  I felt like a sane world would not include
these crazy things, going to them made me feel extremely sad.
2.  People, I would smile and no one cared.  On the trail, it was rare to
pass another human and not speak or a least acknowledge them.
3. Smells, not just that other people smelled "good"/overwelmingly perfumed,
etc, but that when I got up in the morning I did not hear a breeze, I did
not feel sunshine, and I could not hear birds.
When I jog in the mornings now, sometimes I get a whiff of pine or a a
flowering bush or just a hint of rain and I get all sentimental about the
trail and what those subtle smells used to mean to me- utter freedom and
happiness.

Cross Country
AT '99, PCT '02