[pct-l] After the Hike

Hi All,
    Almost anytime I go into the forest or the wilderness, my internal
pace slows down. I loose sync with society. For example, back in the
1970's after a backpack of even a couple of days, I return to my car and
start driving. I no longer want to drive 60 mph or more, more likely 30
to 45. Annoyed those who were stuck behind me on a 2 lane mountain
highway until I could pull over and let them pass. However by the time I
was into the Central Valley and onto the freeways I had speeded up again
and ready to drive like mad.
    Yesterday I led a short hike in the redwoods close to where I live.
When I got back in my pickup to drive home, I only drove 45 mph. I
obeyed the "slower traffic keep right" signs and let all the 'speed
demons' pass me. Why rush through paradise?

    I'm no longer able to work and am retired on disability so I can
live most anywhere I want and can afford. I've chosen a place where
there are still trees around. Where there are birds flying around and
chirping like made if I awake around dawn. Often at night, I can hear
the roar of the ocean or the barking of seals and sea lions. It is a
choice to live here. Sure, I don't have all the shopping conveniences of
a metropolitan area. Medical care is not as good as in the big cities.
But I've made my choice.

    And each of us has choices and we make choices. To thru hike the PCT
is a choice. To section hike the PCT is a choice. To just dream about
hiking the PCT is a choice. We also have choices about where we live,
where we work or otherwise earn a living / support ourselves.  There are
also costs involved with each choice as well as our own limitations and
abilities. Still we need to recognize that we do have and do make
choices.

John