[pct-l] raw food trail menu

First, some brief points to help folks understand what is a raw food and
what is not, and why raw foods are good for you:

All living things contain enzymes which are the physical molecules through
which the life force transmits.  Something can be considered a 'raw' food
(although not necessarily a living food) when it still contains these
enzymes.  Heat above 105 degrees destroys enzymes.  This is why a fever
above 105 deg will kill you.

Enzymes are the molecules that do all the work in living systems.  Studies
have been done showing that our bodies enzyme count decreases as we age.
Thus, the amount of enzymes in a food or a human body determine how 'alive'
it is.

When we eat cooked food, our bodies secrete enzymes into our digestive tract
to break down the food so we can extract the nutritional molecules we need
from the food.  but secreting enzymes into digestive tract means we are
losing some of our aliveness (since enzyme count measure how alive we are)
to digest our food.  this makes sense on an intuitive level, as you cannot
incorporate a dead thing into living tissue: so when we eat 'dead' food, we
must give up some of our life force to bring the food back alive so it can
be incorporated into living tissue.

when you eat food with some life (enzymes) in it, the enzymes are activated
as you chew the food.  these enzymes inherant in the food itself do the bulk
of the digestion, eliminating the need for large enzyme secretions by our
body (preserving our life energy).  there have even been studies showing
that any enzymes not used up to digest the live food in its journey through
GI tract can be absorbed whole into our blood through intestinal walls and
put to use by our bodies, thus boosting our aliveness (see "Enzymes: The
Fountain of Life" by D.A. Lopez, M.D. and others).  All the conserved
enzymes not lost to digestion on a raw diet can be put to use in the body to
do all the chores (detox, healing, etc.) which have been neglected because
we're so enzyme deficient due to cooked, processed diet.

if you are interested in preserving your bodies enzyme levels, all seeds and
nuts should be soaked before being consumed, as these foods all contain
'enzyme inhibitors' which prevent their enzymes from doing any digesting in
your body.  an unsoaked seed or nut is like a cooked food in terms of its
draw on your enzyme reserve in order to digest it.  soaking removes these
substances.  also, grains can be sprouted as opposed to cooked.  and meat
can be eaten raw.  some raw fooders do that.  meat grosses me out cooked let
alone raw so i don't go there.  finally, dehydration at 105 deg or below is
a method of food preservation which also preserves enzymes.  enough of
that...

OK, so here is a sample menu for a day on the trail.  this was a common day
on john muir trail.  i don't know how many calories this works out to be,
and i am convinced that one needs far less calories when eating raw for a
vaiety of reasons which i won't go into here.  i'll certainly put this idea
to test this summer:

Equipment: baby food grinder (4.5 oz.).
           one tupperware container (4 cup capacity).
           one water bottle (doubles as a soaking container at night).
           one spoon.
           sprout jars.

Breakfast:

- one cup sprouted and dehydrated buckwheat.
- 1/3 cup soaked and dehydrated almonds.
- one cup raisins soaked overnight in 1 1/2 cups water in tupperware.
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds soaked overnight in water bottle.
- spices of choice.
- i also like to mix in bee pollen with this b-fast.

in morning, i grind up sunflower in food grinder and put into tupperware
with soaking raisins.  the sweet raisin soak water absorbs the ground up
sunnies producing a sweet seed milk (similar to soy or rice milk you buy in
stores).  i mix in almonds and buckwheat and spices (e.g., fennel, cinnamon,
ginger, nutmeg, etc.).  the result is a delicious granola.  dates could also
be chopped into this reducing amount of raisins necessary since dates are so
sweet.  this prep is quick, i'm usually eating well before friends who do
cooked breakfasts.

if you want to avoid the sprouting and dehydrating of buckwheat, you can
simply soak the grain overnight and use this instead of the sprouted,
dehydrated stuff.  its still good this way, but rinsing off your soaked
buckwheat after soaking can be a drag on trail, as soaking buchwheat
releases a sort of slimy substance that many want to wash away before
eating.  the substance is tasteless and i don't bother rinsing very well
when i do this on trail - doesn't bother me.  if you go this route, you'll
want to get a fiberglass mesh screen that you can rubberband over bottle to
allow easy rinsing of buckwheat.

lunch: soaked nuts and dried fruit (e.g., dates and almonds).
       one can also do delicious 'essene' or 'manna' breads made by
       sprouting grains and then grinding and dehydrating.  i do awesome
       cinnamon raisin breads and savory breads that go great
       with raw nut butters.

snack: spirulina, dried fruit.

dinner:

- nori sheets
- 1 cup sunflower seed/pumpkin seed combo soaked.
- sprouts which i grow on trail.
- wild greens harvested on trial.
- soaked sundried tomatoes.
- ginger, cumin, celtic salt (unheated, unprocessed sea salt).

grind seeds in food grinder to create pate.  mix in spices and salt.
spread some of pate out on nori sheet.  place soaked sundried tomatoes,
greens over pate.  roll up and enjoy.  makes about 5 nori wraps.  this
rocks!

variety:  still working on recipes.  got a few other b-fasts and dinners so
far.  considering writng a book.  "Backpacking in the Raw."  Look for it...

skywalker

To:            <pct-l@edina.hack.net>