Re: [pct-l] raw food trail menu

doug walsh writes:

<< here is a sample menu for a day on the trail.  this was a common day
 on john muir trail.  i don't know how many calories this works out to be,
 and i am convinced that one needs far less calories when eating raw for a
 vaiety of reasons which i won't go into here.  i'll certainly put this idea
 to test this summer: >>

Before you get too far into testing, let me do some math for you:

<< Breakfast:

- one cup sprouted and dehydrated buckwheat.
- 1/3 cup soaked and dehydrated almonds.
- one cup raisins soaked overnight in 1 1/2 cups water in tupperware.
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds soaked overnight in water bottle.
- spices of choice.
- i also like to mix in bee pollen with this b-fast.  >>

Breakfast:  Sounds delicious BTW.  Calories total 1250, weight 0.6 lb.

<< lunch: soaked nuts and dried fruit (e.g., dates and almonds).
       one can also do delicious 'essene' or 'manna' breads made by
       sprouting grains and then grinding and dehydrating.  i do awesome
       cinnamon raisin breads and savory breads that go great
       with raw nut butters. >>

Lunch:  Amount not given but let's say 1 cup:  Calories 600, weigh 0.27 lb.

<< snack: spirulina, dried fruit. >>

Snacks:  1/2 cup?  Calories 300, weight 0.2 lb.

<< dinner:

- nori sheets
- 1 cup sunflower seed/pumpkin seed combo soaked.
- sprouts which i grow on trail.
- wild greens harvested on trial.
- soaked sundried tomatoes.
- ginger, cumin, celtic salt (unheated, unprocessed sea salt). >>

Dinner:  Again, quantities uncertain, but...  Calories 1000, weight 0.43 lb.

Total weight:  1.5 lb per day as you have stated in earlier posts.  Calories:
 3,150 per day.

A typical thruhiker will lose weight on 5000 calories per day.  With a
deficiency of 1,850 cpd, I'm afraid you're going to be in serious trouble
after a month on the trail.  Weight loss in itself isn't all bad but loss of
muscle mass will put you off the trail.  I am speaking from personal
experience here.

<< Equipment: baby food grinder (4.5 oz.).
           one tupperware container (4 cup capacity).
           one water bottle (doubles as a soaking container at night).
           one spoon.
           sprout jars. >>

Equipment:  9-10 oz empty?  Maybe a push for an alcostove & fuel for a week.
Fuel gets lighter after first day.  Sprout jars, tupperware and food grinder
do not.  Stove & fuel bottle wins the cubic-inches-in-pack contest.

By all means, test your theory.  Let us know how it turns out.  But keep your
options open.  IMHO, D. A. Lopez, MD has sold you a book.  If he has figured
out a way for us to survive, long-term, on the trail while burning more
calories than we take in, I want to see some proof.

To:            dougwalsh64@hotmail.com, pct-l@edina.hack.net