Re: [pct-l] Blister question

Scott asked,
>> I recently went on a short trip, 2 days/20 mi, with some newish, though
broken in, boots.  I developed a half dollar sized blister on the back of my
right heel. The blister is centered 2 1/4 inches above the floor in bare
feet.  What preventative structural measure(s) can be taken?
> Specifics
> 1. The left shoes feels like a custom fit and there were no problems on
that side.
> 2. I recently found out that my right foot is a 1/2 size smaller than the
left foot.
> 3. I wore synthetic hiking socks with coolmax liners.

Many people have one foot smaller than the other. The blister you describe
was caused by the up and down movement of your heel and the resulting
friction as several other listers explained.

You have several options. The heel pads as described by others are a
possibility, as is taping. A good tape job will stay on for several days and
not come loose when changing socks. For multi-day use, Johnson & Johnson's
Elastikon tape is better than duct tape because it is porous and allows the
skin to breath. There are also different ways to lace your boots that grab
the heel and lock it in to prevent slippage. Hapad (www.hapad.com) makes a
small pad that fits on the tongue of the boot and will help fill some of the
space. They also sell high-quality 1/4 inch thick adhesive felt, like
moleskin, that can be used on your heel or applied to the inside of your
boot. You can consider a thicker insole for the right foot, provided it does
not become too tight at the toes and forefoot. The trick is to fill up some
of that extra space in the boot. A thicker sock on that foot is another
possibility. You might also try contacting the boot company and asking about
getting a special pair, sized for your feet. Try several of the ideas people
have suggested and find what works for you.

John Vonhof
vonhof@pacbell.net
Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes
www.footworkpub.com