[pct-l] Is an ice axe necessary north of Tahoe?

       I've been monitoring the trail reports on the pcta.org website and it
appears that the snow level has been pushed up to about the 6,000+ level
(although it did snow over the weekend in Ashland) and I would like to ask a
question of those who have walked this section in the past:  Am I really
going to need an ice axe in this section?  pcta.org recommends one, but in
your experience, is this really necessary?  I would prefer not to take one
(although I'm pretty sure it would be a good idea to take one into the High
Sierra).  I'm on the verge of putting off the purchase of one but would like
to check with those of you who have traveled this area in the past first.