[ft-l] Central Florida FTA Meeting - Gear, gear and more gear...

Hi everyone,

I just got back from the Central Florida FTA meeting and what a great time
it was, backpacking gear everywhere (quiet Sandy, everyone knows already
knows I'm a "gearhead").  Travel Country Outdoors dropped in at our meeting
and show us some of the latest and greatest gear for hiking and backpacking.
A big thank you to TCO!  For those who don't know, Travel Country Outdoors
is a major supplier of hiking and backpacking gear to the Central Florida
area. http://www.travelcountry.com/

Anyway, a couple of interesting items.  Western Mountaineering has made a
down sleeping bag rated around 20 degrees (???) which weighs in at a little
over 1 lb.  I believe it was called the Hyperlite.  There is also another
version, a 0 degree down bag, which weighs in at 1 lb. 10 oz. + or -, called
the Mightylite.  Don't take these numbers to the bank, but they came from a
good source.  These bags are of course overkill for most Florida conditions,
but maybe you can make a road trip to the AT sometime.

The Sweetwater Inline filter was also shown with emphasis on the Platypus
Water Hydration System.  Many people are now catching onto the idea of using
a water bag with an inline filter.  It's easy to use and lightweight.  I
just wish the Platypus water bags didn't cost so much....  I'll just stick
to my Sweetwater Filter Bottle.

Another item I found interesting was a Bug Bivy, which was basically a 1
hoop netting enclosure to protect you from bugs.  Together with a tarp
system, this might be the way to go if you want to escape from that 4-5 lb.
tent.

Happy Trails,
Jeff Walters