[ft-l] Pitcher pumps

FTA's VP for Trails Joan Hobson and I are very much aware of the need for
water sources along the trail.  We are researching the regulations for
installing and maintaining pitcher pumps on public lands.  We are trying to
determine if they are allowed and what the permit requirements would be.
It is not as easy as it used to be when you could just drive a pipe into
the ground and screw on a pitcher pump.  We are investigating what
procedures have to be followed.  A major constraint may be a requirement
for monthly water testing.  This is an important issue that we will
continue to pursue.  If anyone has information about where wells currently
exist or have experience getting them permitted and installed, please let
me know.  Thanks.

Kent L. Wimmer, AICP
Florida National Scenic Trail Liaison
Florida Trail Association, Inc.
kwimmer@fs.fed.us
(850) 942-9376 (w)
(850) 942-9305 (fax)
(850) 386-8442 (h)
Mailing address:
USDA Forest Service
National Forests in Florida
325 John Knox Rd, F-100
Tallahassee, FL 32303-4160

                    LPinker456@aol.com
                    Sent by:                        To:     <ft-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
                    ft-l-admin@mailman.backc        cc:
                    ountry.net                      Subject:     [ft-l] water...

                    01/11/2001 11:31 AM
                    Please respond to ft-l

I might be off base here, but it seems to me that as the money begins to
roll
in for trail development we really need to consider adding wells and hand
pumps along many of the trails.  Water is scarce on so many of our trails
and
getting harder to find all the time.