Re: [ft-l] Florida Trail thru-hikers

I would also point out that NST designation is really about protection of a
trail from development and the public's right of access.  NST designation
does not guarantee that the designated route is actually "scenic".  Even
today there are sections on the AT which could not be called "scenic" by any
measure, but all but a few miles of the trail ARE federally protected and
all of the AT IS open to the public 365 days a year.  The creation of a
"scenic" trail that adds up to a quality hiking experience is up to us - the
maintainers and hikers.  This will be an on-going job that will probably
continue long after all of the FT is actually designated NST.

Deb Blick
FTA