Re: [CDT-L] exercise / preparation

In a message dated 6/23/1998 6:12:30 PM Mountain Daylight Time, jrowen@ibm.net
writes:

<< I'm interested in hearing
 > what sorts of exercises (routines/methods) that people have found useful
 > in preparing for their backpacking trek on the CDT.  >>

I'm not talking about now, but back when I was in my early 50's.  I found that
the best conditioning for hiking and backpacking came from cross training.  I,
of course, had my weight down.  I ran 25-28 miles per week, rode my bicycle
75+ miles per week, and swam as many laps as I could force myself to do 3X per
week.  The main help, I found, was the miles of road running.  Of course, I
knew this because I was also doing day hikes several days a week.  Within
reason, all aerobic training helps, especially at altitude.

Now I am also working out regularly with an exercise physiologist on a MedX
weight program, especially with the machines that build up a brace of muscles
in my back since I have developed degenerative disc disease.  Again, it all
works as long as one's brain is also engaged.

Kinnickinic