Re: [CDT-L] exercise / preparation

Rick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I posted a message similar to this on the AT discussion list.  I
> apologize for the duplication for any on both lists.  I'm new to the
> list and wanted to ask some general questions about conditioning and
> physical preparation for CDT treks/hikes.  I'm interested in hearing
> what sorts of exercises (routines/methods) that people have found useful
> in preparing for their backpacking trek on the CDT.  Obviously, getting
> out and backpacking is a good way to do this.  What I'm looking for are
> possible workout routines that target muscles or skill sets useful to
> backpacking.  At the moment I bike quite a bit and I'm interested in
> rounding that out with different types of training to get a broad based
> preparation for the CDT and hiking in general.  I would appreciate
> hearing any and all pointers that you can give me.  If you don't want to
> clutter the list with non CDT workout items, feel free to respond to me
> privately at rwilliam@imagecomm.com
>
> Regards,
>
> Rick

Rick, be aware that biking and hiking use very different muscles.
(Look at a hiker's legs, and then look at a biker's legs - they are
different shapes.) If you want to get in shape for hiking, you have to
get out and hike, preferably with weight on your back and preferably up
hills.  On top of that, do stairs as much as possible, and exercises to
strengthen the quads like straight leg leg lifts.  When are you planning
to start hiking?  How far?  Best is just to get out and walk, with
weight on your back, as much as possible.  We plan to get really serious
about training about 6 months before we leave with daily walks of 3-5
miles plus weekend long hikes.  Right now we hike as much as we can - we
just haven't gotten into a daily routine yet.

Ginny

Ginny