[cdt-l] topo maps

What's all the sweat about topos anyway??  Just buy yerself a GPS; then the
Forest Service and BLM and Trails Illustrated maps are more than sufficient.
  You will, however, still spend close to $300 on maps.  To use in the
field, interpolate positions on and off the maps using the cross hatches
that occur every 7.5 minutes on those maps (Carry a light ruler and
calculator).  Always gits ya close enough to know where you are or where yer
s'posed to be.  Your time might be better spent packing better food or
lightening your equipment, or dredging thru Wolf's guidebooks to decide on
your route.  (Oh, yes.  Do you really want to know ahead of time how much
elevation gain yer facin'?)
I'm sure this will breed all sorts of irate, disagreeing responses; anyway,
I don't guarantee to read, or respond to any of them.  Just putting in my
two cents worth.
Happy Hiking!!!
   Bilgy