Re: [CDT-L] tarp instead of tent

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000 15:15:16 EST TJBAKOS@cs.com writes:

> I've been trying for a long time to cut packweight, and am
> considering switching to a tarp instead of tent.

Used a tarp on the PCT and managed just fine. At one point I saw eight (8)
straight days of rain in the Cascades. My down sleeping bag and I stayed
drier than we would have in a tent, I believe. For the wicked-bad mosquitoes
in the High Sierra (worse than I've seen in 12 Maine summers), I dangled a
Boy Scout style cot net and managed OK (not as bug-free as a tent, but
adequate). Mine didn't keep out no-see-ums which were never a problem but for
one night near Lassen.

Dunno how bad the no-see-ums are on the CDT, but I'm sure The Root or Karen
B. or someone intimately familiar with the CDT would know.

Sincerely yours,
Former Attorney General Ed Meese