[CDT-L] [cdt-l] bugs

Since you asked -- re the bugs:

I've found that you can't really generalize about this -- Bad bugs depend on
type of year, vary from day to day, and even time of day. For example, Dan
and I didn't have bad mosquitoes in the High Sierra on our PCT hike, but we
did in northern Yosemite. I woudn't have taken a tarp there in a million
years.

We went northbound on the Divide -- so anything I have to say is really only
true for a northbound hike.

We slept out throughout most of NM without a tarp OR a tent. Got snowed on
once. Then we got a tent. (This was northbound) Northern NM got a little
buggy, and we gratefully crawled in the tent.

Oh -- but for southbounders -- we did return to Montana the next year, in
July. Mosquitoes were bad in places -- flies, too. Glad to have the tent.
Don't remember them being bad in Colorado -- but I'm sure that's a function
of time of year.

Don't remember no-see-ums being bad on the CDT, either.

But I'm a bug wimp -- I like a tent. I figure that once you add a
groundcloth, a tarp, and a mosquito net you're getting pretty close to a
lightweight tent.

Karen