[CDT-L] [cdt-l] request help re: choosing tent

I figure this is the list to go to -- After years of faithful service, my two
trusty Northface tadpoles have bitten the dust. Need to replace them and am
seeking advice.

We liked the Tadpoles because they are freestanding -- We like to be able to
pitch ANYWHERE -- even a gravel road bed or a rocky flat spot up high. So
we've always chosen freestnading tents. Is this assumption valid? Had anyone
out there used NON-freestanding tents with no problem even in ridiculous
circumstances (camping on a pile of rocks up high where the winds are
fierce)?

SO: we're looking for a freestanding tent, under 5 pounds -- is there such a
thing anymore??? The old Tadpoles were advertised at under five pounds --
don't know if that was actually accurate becasue sometimes they don't count
certain things (like tent stakes!) when they put down the weight.

I've been all over the web looking for a replacement -- I'd think that 12
years later, they'd have come up with something lighter and sturdier, but
everything I'm seeing is heavier and not as sturdy!!!

Also re: single wall tents: Condensation is a problem with the older ones I
used -- anyone use newer models that work better in three season conditions?
Or would the ideal plan be to have a single-wall freestanding tent for alpine
and a Clip Flashlight for
AT type hiking and a tarp for out west deserts?

Any ideas?

Karen