[at-l] Rockies vs. Whites

>confident about getting through the Whites that quickly. I've been told
by
>several Colorado natives that the Whites are not as hard as the 14,000
foot
>Rockies

You are right..they are not as hard..they are HARDER!

The Whites have OLD trails that go UP the mountain then DOWN.

I was amazed at the concept of switchbacks when I moved out here to
Colorado.
We don't have pack stock in New England like we do here in the West.

Now, I am not saying  that hiking in the Rockies  is a cakewalk by
anymeans, but you try doing 15 miles in the Whites, and you will see what
happens. :-)

I backpacked in the Whites extensively before my thru-hike, was in
excellent shape by the time I hit the Whites, consider myself a fairly
strong hiker (and others consider me fast), and the 15 mile day I did
through the Whites in the Presie section left me pooped.
Then there is the philosophical question..Why would you want to rush
through the Whites?
(And if you think the Whites are hard..wait 'til you get to the
Mahoosucs....then foi some real fun, go hiking in the northern porion of
the LT in Vermont...)