RE: [at-l] bear bagging

Let me get this straight....

> let me know if anyone bearbagged on the AT i certainly did
> not it was way to much effort, having done the pct earlier and only bear
> bagging twice and one time the bear went up there and got my food (what a
pain)

So the bear climbed the tree and got your food? You did it wrong...

> over the two
> trails i bear bagged twice and lost my food once so about 50
> percent of the
> time i lost my food as opposed to 0 percent of the time
> keeping the stupid
> (yet very necessary ) food in the tent.

This is equivalent to a 100 percent mortality rate from the food's point of
view, and by the way, YOU are considered food on the PCT...

> i did have a bear lick my cup that i
> left out ( i then boiled it the next day ), and a coyote ate
> my leftover food in my pot but that was my fault i was lazy and it
> was pouring buckets...

So don't bear bag, and maybe next time it will be your nose the bear is
licking, if you're lucky...

> the two times i did bearbag were in yosemite and i would
> recommend it in a
> national park were the bears are used to hikers but otherwise
> i have not had
> any problems with bears maybe im just lucky...

fools rush in where angels fear to tread....

Lee I Joe