RE: [at-l] bear bagging

Chris > let me know if anyone bearbagged on the AT i certainly did  not it
was way to much effort, having done the pct earlier and only bear  bagging
twice and one time the bear went up there and got my food (what a pain) <<

Parker >>  So the bear climbed the tree and got your food? You did it
wrong... <<

Mister Parker, I'd imagined by your response that you've not hiked out West.
Bears in Yosemite routinely get food bags even when they've been correctly
hung. They're called Kamikaze Bears as they've been known to dive off tree
limbs and catch the food bag on the way to the ground.

Just because you don't agree with someone's method doesn't make them wrong.
Or for that matter, neither does it make you right.

For information on dealing with bears - at least with respect to the PCT
with some overlap to the AT - I direct your attention to
http://www.pcta.org/plan/bears.shtml. This is a piece I put together on
bears a while back.

If you've got better and more substantial information - than your off the
cuff comments - I'd be interested.

Fallingwater