Re: [at-l] Hike the Approach Trail!

Kristen wrote
<<SO, I don't think I'd have time to get to a shelter before nightfall if I
took the approach trail. Is this good reasoning? This is, of course,
provided that I can find someone to take me up that far.>>

Well, I'm pretty sure there is still a shelter a few hundred YARDS behind the
ranger station at Amicalola falls, so you'd have plenty of time to get there if
you wanted to.  I stayed there last year because I ended up getting to the trail
in the evening, and really two days earlier than I wanted to start (it was the
only time I could arrange the ride).  The next day I had a leisurely hike up to
the old Springer Mtn. shelter (now in Black Gap) which is about a mile before
the summit.  I could have made it to Springer easily, but it was Mar 16 and I
wanted to start on St. Patricks day.

So, if your only worry is about reaching a shelter, you'll be okay if you want
to hike the Approach.  For me, as for many others, it was part of the 'AT Aura'
and experience for me... I had heard so much about it that I couldn't see
missing it.  Plus it was another day in the woods and to me, any day in the
woods is a good day.

Twilight