Re: [at-l] digest?

Subject: [at-l] digest?
Author:  "Christopher Wood" <CHRISW@LANDMARKNET.NET> at ima
Date:    11/9/99 11:18 PM

did i read on someone's post that if you get this list in digest form that you
are not really a good lister?

hoops at97 pct95

     involvement; and to be clear, "involvement" in terms of quantity *and*
     quality. When you are involved with a thread by virtue of having
     posted to it, you read your own posts and responses to your own posts
     with more involvement, and you get a better picture of the general
     demeanor of the persons with which you're inter-posting. The more such
     dialogue takes place, the less likely one person is to misread the
     tone of another's post. And in that give and take, learning should
     take place on everybody's part. Maybeeee even trail related.

     The lister in question positioned themselves as knowledgeable of and
     involved with the at-l. Not only were they not an at-l lister for any
     period of time, but they were subscribed as digestors, indicating to
     me that they didn't even *intend* on being involved with the at-l.
     (Some personal knowledge of that lister also colored my response.)

     Digestors generally don't handle the volume of traffic of direct mail
     messages because of online cost, available time (while at work,
     even!?!), or simply because of interest. They scan the digests, plow
     through the dattodumps or felixnotes or the sloetoespewings, and get
     the good stuff from Cale-EEE or Gimmee or Bethany, and move on.

     I subscribe to nine different lists. These include
     LIST                       VOLUME                  SUBSCRIPTION
     at-l                       medium                  DIRECT
     dead runner's society      high                    digest

     and maybe once a week volume from:
     dead runner's mind         very low                digest
     zendead                    very low                digest
     IndyHashHouseHarriers      very low                DIRECT*
     IndyUltimateFrisbie        very low                DIRECT*
     D.A.D.D.S.                 zero!                   DIRECT*
     H.A.T.T.                   very low                DIRECT*
     A.L.D.H.A.                 very low                DIRECT*
                                               *no digest available anyway.

     Nine lists! Zioks! Sounds incredible! But the volume from seven of
     them is de minimus. Of the at-l and dead runner's ("Carpe Viam" ==
     Seize the Road!), I could never handle the volume of the drs, so I
     digest. I post to the drs perhaps once a week, even though I've hosted
     more drs'ers at my house than at-l'ers so far. In truth, I can barely
     handle the at-l right now.....and should have made good on a move to
     go "digest" back in July. (I still receive the at-l digest, just in
     case I have to bail!)

     To summarize: IMO, digesting is a measure of involvement. I have the
     time to be "involved" on the at-l, and thoroughly enjoy it, and have
     made so many FRIENDS come to life just by showing up somewhere and
     connecting faces to names. Any excuse will do! But in point of fact,
     that quality of involvement is totally available to digesters, too, or
     "newcomers" for that matter, just by showing up, to a Ruck or Trail
     Daze or Gathering or whatever, or by stepping into a hot thread with
     your own view. Not only are you "worthy", you are "life blood"!

     Yeesh! "Groupthink" from the '60s Org Theorists! If this list were to
     get into a status thing where lurkers/digestors/newcomers did not feel
     welcome to throw out their thoughts or suggestions or editorial
     opinions, the list itself would rot from internal decay, and collapse.
     And deserve to.

     Sloetoe
     (an at-l lister for all of one year.)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#e0ffd8>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=3>did i read on someone's post that if you get
this list in digest form that you are not really a good lister?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000>hoops at97 pct95</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>