[at-l] Trailplace, cont.

      Will attempt to keep this as short as possible; this seems like
something that nobody's willing to compromise or change their minds on.
Have enjoyed some of the correspondence I've received so far, including much
in support; a pity these folks don't feel comfortable about posting these
comments publicly, but I can't really blame 'em.  This can be a fairly
unforgiving place for people who swim against the current.

      I'm not going to rehash everything I said in my previous post, nor am
I going to devote any time or space to some of my less literate detractors.
  And here's a surprise for some folks:  I agree with some of what you had
to say---there are quite a few folks who have serious issues with Dan and
how he runs his site.  There's a lot of anger out there, and I can
understand that, too.

      What I can't understand is the need, time and time again, to re-hash
these whines and complaints.  As I said in my original post, this
anti-Trailplace bitching accomplishes nothing positive, it adds nothing to
this list, and has a tone that is whiny, mean-spirited, and unpleasant.  I
also wrote that I thought it presented an unfortunate picture to new listers
or prospective thru-hikers.  And guess what?  At least one person has
already indicated that these catfights and personal attacks are such a
turnoff that they won't be coming back.  Is THAT the message you guys want
to send new posters, or people planning their first hike?  Is THAT the
picture of this list that you want to present to new people? Cuz believe me,
that's what you're doing.

       I know nothing I'm going to say will change the mind of some folks.
They simply have too much gleeful fun slamming people under the relatively
anonymous umbrella of the Internet.  They have too much fun writing nasty
poems that would shame a nine year old.  They're having too much fun
elevating themselves in the minds of their friends who share some of the
same sentiments.

       At the same time, they're adding nothing positive whatsoever to this
site, and, in point of fact, are only harming it.  Unless you think that
driving away new posters and prospective thru-hikers is what this list is
all about.  And THAT was the point of my lengthy first post:  It was NOT a
blanket defense of Dan or of Trailplace, nor was it a blanket condemnation
of those who count themselves as Dan's critics.  All I was saying is that
repeated bouts of Dan bashing on this site have long since served their
purpose, if ever they had any, and for this sort of thing to continue can
only hurt this list, and its reputation.  I made the point in my original
post that I was concerned over the tone of some of this bashing, and how it
might come across to new folks.  Well, my reservations and concerns proved
well-founded, tho it gives me no pleasure in having been proved right.

      Surely there are ways that these folks could make more meaningful,
adult contributions to this site, particularly as regarding aiding and
advising prospective thru-hikers and first timers.  Surely these folks have
something POSITIVE to offer this list, other than the abilility to make
personal attacks on others in the hiking community.  Surely, they have
better things to do with their time.  Then again, maybe some of them don't.

                                                  Jack Tarlin