Re: [at-l] Sinking Creek Mountain

In a message dated 10/21/99 3:20:16 PM EDT, FKirch@state.de.us writes:

<< While crossing the ridge on top of Sinking Creek Mountain last Sunday, I
saw
 what appeared to be piles of stones about three feet high on both sides of
 the trail. However, it was clear that the stones had been set in place not
 merely piled on top of each other. There were probably about eight or ten
 mounds on each side of the ridge, which is quite narrow at that point.

 Can anyone out there give me an explanation of this interesting site.

 Thanks.

The trail across Sinking Creek Mountain, Virginia is a long ridge walk, thru
the Forrest.
Answer 1:
A long time ago, when people lived and farmed in the mountains. They used to
clear the rocks from their fields and then used them the make rock walls,
fences or just pile them up out of the way.

Answer 2: Piled up when the trail was constructed.

Answer 3:
They could be "cairns," (trail markers). Not likely in this area. The trail
is in the woods. Cairns are used mostly above tree line.

The correct answer is (if my memory is right) Drum roll................
Number 1.

Wildbill