Re: [at-l] Blister care

In a message dated 9/15/99 3:40:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
hikenet@interactive.net writes:

<< barefoot hiking anyone ?? >>

    Actually, a letter in the September/October issue of Adirondac magazine
deals with this very subject.  The author of the letter, Bill Price of
Glenville, NY, suggests that "blisters and most other foot problems can be
avoided altogether by hiking in bare feet."  He continues:  "I have been
doing most of my warm weather hiking barefoot for the past few years and have
found it very refreshing and enjoyable.  I carry a pair of sandals in my pack
for the occasional stretch of rough, stony trail, but most trails are quite
suitable.  Gradual conditioning and attention to foot placement are required,
but the hazards are fewer and less severe than most people imagine."

    Well, the ADK printed the letter, with the following caveat at the end:
"For safety reasons, ADK does not endorse barefoot hiking and recommends
proper footwear for all outdoor activity."

        Daniel Chazin
        Teaneck, NJ