Re: [at-l] Danger

You'd better get used to the question.  It's what I was asked most.

Men hikers told me they were asked essentially the same question -- were
they carrying a weapon.  (They weren't.)

I hiked for about 150 days and camped alone about 6 nights.

Just read an article in my local paper about 4 William and Mary coeds who
biked 4,400 miles across the country this summer -- together, but otherwise
unaccompanied.

I'd guess the Trail community is 1/4 to 1/3 women these days, and all ages.
Of the women I've encountered, about half seem to have begun their hikes
solo -- but we form into "pods" out there:  bunches of about 4 people who
keep running into each other for up to a week at a stretch.  Then someone
moves ahead; someone goes into town; someone takes a rest day; someone gets
off the trail for a wedding or graduation -- and different groups form.

One of my favorites last year was two of us women nearing 60 and a
19-year-old girl.  Another was a group of 4 -- all the others guys -- whose
ages totaled over 200.

Nothing's totally safe but you're way safer out on the trail than you are
going to the corner mall.