Re: [at-l] UV technology for water supply treatment

A couple of things...

the link on this page

http://www.hydro-photon.com/hydropgs/whoisHP.shtml

shows the light dipped into the water. This might explain the lack of distance
and focus information.

But assuming this thing works for the moment...

I'm not sure it passes the at-l hiker test.

 "AA size lithium-metal, 3.2 volts, 900mA hrs., rechargable, 250+ charge
cycles."

If this is true and the unit can't run on easily found AA batteries (even the
Energizer lithium AA are hard to find in big cities, you need to find a Radio
Shack or good photo/electronics store) you're either gonna be carrying a charger
or rigging up a system that charges it based on the up and down motion of your
pack... later on it says "...on board charging IC is designed specifically for
use with Lithium batteries". Not too promising.

Further, if the claimed 30 seconds for 12 oz. of water is true, I'm gonna be
spending a lot of time swishing this thing around my water bottles. Of course
this might allow me to use one of those debonair "Stirred, not filtered" lines
on the hiker babes...

Will it filter enough water on a single charge (or a single set of batteries) to
be useful to a hiker?

Now if they designed these widgets so that you can dump them into the bottle and
leave them there glowing away until a timer shuts them off...

The lamp body is quartz. Strong enough for reasonable people but unbreakable to
a hiker? I'm not so sure.

Has anyone checked out or used this companies products?

http://www.safewateranywhere.com/

Daniel