20 years ago today, was [at-l] A year ago today ...

Subject: [at-l] A year ago today ...
Author:  "Cora Drake" <cora_drake@hotmail.com> at ima
Date:    7/13/99 7:12 AM

... at about this TIME of day, actually, I was hanging out over Palmerton,
halfway up out of Lehigh Gap going north, sweating, cursing the universe in
general(and thinking uncivil thoughts about one civil engineer in
particular), certain I was going to be there 'til I died.

Then I found a foothold and the rest ain't anywhere near as interesting.

     Sloetoe joinith in....
     Well, I too remember Lehigh Gap as a boiling hot shimmering Gates of
     Hell kind of place....with no water, too......

     Anywho, TWENTY years ago today, it was my birthday (it no longer is,
     the calender has changed), and I was tooling into Deleware Water Gap
     from 30 miles out. Had not done a 30 miler yet, and thought I'd thrash
     myself on my birthday, and take an extra day in DWG as my (recovery)
     present. Short version is that I did 15 miles by noon, then all Hell
     broke loose, torrents exploding from the sky, lightening bolts Bam Bam
     Bam, that kind of thing. Almost Deaded. Big time. Really Bad Day. (One
     of my best trail memories....!) Made it to a leanto and cowered. Jeez.
     Went into DWG the next day at 4 or 5 pm, happy to be alive.

     Think I'll drink a few beers tonight.

     Sloetoe'79
     (AT survivor)