RE: [at-l] Pack Choices

Delita,

Well, you seem to have the right approach. Without pointing to a particular
pack, the criteria I would use would be:

4000 cu. in. capacity
4 lbs to 5 lbs empty
Fit for your torso length
Fit of the waist belt
Accessories

It is better to start with a very basic pack that can be added onto rather
than go for one with all of the frills permanently attached. I have
frequently carried a 2400 cu. in. pack with almost a weeks supplies - total
packed weight: 24 lbs.

The AT also presents a few unique challenges. Poor construction will show up
almost immediately. Packs that have been found to be "bombproof" are
preferable, even at the cost of an extra pound of weight. There are several
sites on the web with pack reviews (among others).

Lee I Joe