Re: [at-l] Pack Choices

Research and shopping and hiking are the best ways to make this decision.
Go ahead a rent a pack (any pack) and load up and hike at least a weekend.
You will quickly come to some education about your needs and relative
merits of packs.

One of the best ways to research is to  do exactly what Second Chance
suggested. Take your gear to an outfitter, load up, and walk around the
store for the next 2-3 hours. Yes, you will look like a dork, but it is
better to look like one in the store than to feel like one on the trail.

Do pay attention to the bells and whistles, I have the North Face Behemoth
pack. The best feature is the cappuccino maker next to the 2 gallon water
pillow. The hatchet loops and side pocket airbags are excellent safety
features, that have helped me whenever I've been pushed over a cliff. The
cell phone pouch (with solar battery recharger) and umbrella stand are
especially handy. At only 12 pounds, it is definitely bomb proof, and helps
me lose weight every time I struggle to put it on. I highly recommend it,
and would part with it only when given the chance. The sales person said
they knew it was good, and it only took me 15 minutes to clear the VISA
card. It was a steal at half the $450 suggested price, plus and 20% tip for
the boys who lugged it out to my car. They were so cheerful!

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA