[at-l] OrangeBug Section Journal Day 5

4 3

Down the mountain or sailor's night in port.

The sun also rises at Standing Indian. I missed first light, but awoke for
about 14th light. My companions began to stir and we watched the light and
shadows fall on points South & West. I was amazed to watch the shadow of
the mountain stretch out past Murphy, NC.

We teased a shadow puppet show of the bird v. rabbit battle, but it didn't
quite work out. Breakfast was done and pack loaded one last time as we
watched a rain cloud float to  us. It's rain never hit ground until the
gentle shower reached our peak.

I started down Lower Ridge Trail. This was again far easier and more
beautiful than my ill fated first trip up it 2 years ago. At the bottom was
Prehistoric Tony also trying to figure out where we were and how to get
near civilization. Children on bikes would wheel past and look at the
strange humanoids belched out by the mountain.

P T watched my pack as I hitched a ride to Wallace Gap and walked down to
Rainbow Springs Campground. I stopped at the little outdoor chapel and
cemetery of the Church of the Ascension. The altar was simple and touching
with at least 1 hiker taking money and leaving an IOU, and 1 hiker
replenishing the jar. The cemetery was the usual tragedy of infant deaths
and loss.

RSC greeted me and let me scarf some ice cream while Jasnine colored Easter
Eggs. I payed my very reasonable bill and left. I still have not met the
source of their bad reputation.

My orange bug started up. I collected PT and crammed ourselves and our
packs into the bug for a jaunt into Franklin, NC.  PT treated me to lunch
at B&D Rcetaurant.

We quickly noticed a pattern. People downwind of us had a few reactions.
Men would retch and run. Virgins swooned or fainted. Children screamed in
fear and ran to their mothers. Mothers simply turned up their noses and
sneered at us like a particularly bad diaper.

Waitresses simply drew straws to see who had to take us - the loser getting
to go home early. The food was great, and we didn't lick our plates. This
is one of the best restaurants I've visited in many months, including some
of the best of Buckhead and Atlanta.

I took PT across the street to the Franklin Motel, $30 a night, for him to
check in. He got settled, and I prepared to leave and re-enter the real
world. "Yo! OrangeBug!" yelled Big Daddyt, peircings sparkling in the sun
and the bumper stickers of the soul emblazoned o his arms. It seems he has
staying the night in Franklin with Good Samaritan, Tuckerizing and
re-setting their heads. Most everyone I had seen seemed to be there,
including Hooter, Maverick, Vice, and others. It felt like the conclusion
scene of the" Wizard of Oz."

I ferried BD and GS to an outfitter, ABC store, grocery store, and got more
lunch at B&D with BD. The flounder was every bit as good as the Philly
steak sandwich 2 hours earlier. I snuck into their room, took a warm and
hard hot shower, and learned the cure for chafing.

Even if you must hike barefooted and without food, buy at least one pair of
Coolmax/Spandex shorts. Consider a size too small. Instantly, my pains were
soothed with the soft fabric and the lack of movement against tender
wounds. I was proud to have stayed and learned this important pearl, and to
have the ladies at the outfitters help me select just the pair that fit,
and model for the AT thru-hiker photo spread.

So with great pride and satisfaction in my brief section hike, I bid
Franklin and the thru-hikers adieu, and headed down the mountain to Easter
and family. I will be back for more!

OrangeBug
GA->NC 99