Re: [at-l] Kelty Cloud & Vapor packs

     (Sorry for jumbled answer. This is a brain dump.) These packs run
     $350-$400. Spectra is about the lightest known fiber for its strength
     -- and is in fact so dense that it can't be died or durabley coated
     with urethane, hense the "white" packs. It is used for hand protection
     gloves by police forces and in packing plants (and actually, if you
     have access to one of those cool kitchen stores, you can buy one for
     home use, for about $20). As you can imagine, ordinary pattern cutting
     methods are not very effective with Spectra (it LAUGHS at my
     scissors), although the actual sewing is somewhat easy because the
     individual fibers are so "slippery." That and that the fabric is
     between 2.5 - 3 times the price of any nylon is what raises the price.
     A Spectra vest offering the same protection as a Kevlar/aramid vest
     will weigh about 20% less. Spectra will stretch/deform a goodly bit,
     though, hence the webbing "cage" on the Kelty packs. Spectra also has
     a melting point of around 200*F -- don't use your pack as a "pot
     cozy", or you'll really have a bad day. Spectra is not materially
     affected by ultraviolet radiation. Kevlar has a higher melting point,
     doesn't stretch, isn't quite as strong/weight, and degrades when
     exposed to sunlight. BTW, "Technora" (WILD THINGS "AT" frameless
     rucksack: 5000ci, 2.25 lbs., $255) is a nylon/kevlar ripstop blend
     (ArcTeryx is using something similar, too), which MAY be woven to
     sheild the kevlar from sunlight, much as do Spectra/Kevlar climbing
     ropes, using Kevlar (minimal stretch) in core and Spectra (maximal UV
     life) as sheath. Oddly, racing sailors use Kevlar sails for longer
     races and Spectra for sprints -- the UV degradation is "outweighed" by
     "stretching" circumstances, I guess.

     For my own purposes, I am building a (2.2oz/yd) Spectra frameless with
     top and bottom access and field replaceable suspension padding that I
     expect to bring in at 2.0 pounds for a 5000ci pack. Testing this
     summer. Stay tuned. If the Keltys are coming in at 1-1.5 pounds
     though, I think I'll have to get a new catalog and check 'em out! $400
     beaners is pretty steep, though....Would probably require a 4 to 5 day
     trip to justify the weight savings. (That's a funny, you.)

     Hope this helps.

     Sloetoe'79