Re: [at-l] Hand Held Computers

The URL that John O gave for my page on the Sharp TM-20 and the PocketMail service was incorrect. The URL should have read:

http://www.monmouth.com/~mconnick/pkmail.htm

The URL he gave was for Michael's Ultralight Backpacking Page, which does not have any links to my PocketMail Web page on it.

My PocketMail page will provide information and links to more information, along with pictures of the Sharp TM-20 so that you can see what it actually looks like.

To summarize the advantages of the Sharp TM-20 for use on a long-distance hike:

1. It will allow you to send and receive E-mail from virtually ANY phone using an 800 number. Long-distance hikers usually encounter pay phones when resupplying at even the smallest store and the Sharp can be used with a payphone.

2. Battery life is excellent, with 2 AA's lasting between 2 and 5 months, depending upon usage.

3. The unit is very lightweight, weighing only 8 oz including batteries.

4. The unit has 384K of user memory, allowing LOTS of room for journal entries, and well as lots of E-mail messages to and from family members and friends.

5. Every time a pay phone, or any other kind of phone is encountered, journal entries can be sent off and E-mail exchanged with friends and family at no cost, since you're using an 800 number.

6. Total cost of ownership is very low for this unit. The Sharp TM-20 itself only costs $150, and the PocketMail E-mail service costs $9.99 per month, or $99.00 per year, for UNLIMITED usage of their 800 number. It's really a great deal.

BTW, this message was composed on, and sent from, a Sharp TM-20.

Michael Connick
E-mail: mconnick@monmouth.com