[at-l] Pine Grove Ruck

It's that time of year again, gang - the second annual Pine Grove Ruck
will be held at the Ironmasters Mansion Hostel at Pine Grove Furnace in
PA on January 29-31.  The hostel is located about 15 miles west of
Gettysburg on Rt 30 and then 15 or so miles north from Caledonia State
Park on PA 233. The Trail goes through both Caledonia and Pine Grove
Furnace State Parks, and right in front of the hostel. Tom and Maria Ha
are the hostel managers and their phone number is 717-486-7575.  They're
normally open for phone calls between 5 PM and 10 PM. If you have
questions or want to make reservations or need more detailed directions,
they're the people to call.  I believe the cost is $10 per person per
night and it might be a very good idea to make reservations in advance.

I understand that Tom and Maria will provide dinner for those arriving
on Friday night. We missed that last year - but we'll be there earlier
this year.

Anyone who has an interest in thruhiking, either this year or in the
future, is welcome.  Past thruhikers are also welcome - please bring
your knowledge, experience, pictures, slides and enthusiasm.

The plan is that there really isn't any set program or plan.  We'll
bring some AT slides, videos, pictures and books, some food, and our
bodies and memories of the AT.  The idea is to talk - and talk - and
talk - on Friday night and Saturday and, for those who want to go, a
short hike on Saturday and/or Sunday.  Nothing fancy or formal, just a
chance to meet, talk to and hike with a few friends.  And for 99 and
future thruhikers, a chance to maybe get some of your questions answered
and meet some of the people you might be hiking with.

Based on last year, now I'll make some suggestions:
1. There's no store or restaurant close to the Hostel so you might want
to bring food and drink. (The park store is only open during the
summer.) Ginny and I will be there Friday and Saturday nights so we'll
be packing at least 2 breakfasts and 2 lunches and a lot of snacks.  We
thought about a community meal on Saturday night - that's what we did
last year.  Anyone game for this??    The hostel has a big,
well-equipped kitchen that can handle anything you want to bring or
cook.
2. Talking is hungry work - you might want to bring some of your
favorite snacks to share.
3. We'll bring what we have in the way of scales for anyone who wants to
weigh their gear/packs.
4. If you want to come for the whole weekend - great, or you are welcome
to come for a day or even a few hours.  It's up to you.  We'll be there
all weekend, rain or shine, and if it's snowing, we'll bring snowshoes.
5. I should mention that alcohol isn't welcome at the hostel.  I know
for sure that some of the State Park people REALLY don't like it.

If anyone knows people who might be interested in being at Pine Grove
Furnace that weekend, you might want to pass the information on to
them.  And  if anyone has suggestions or comments, let us know.
Nothing's set in concrete here.  And I suspect (and hope) that Tom will
supply more details about the amenities at the Hostel.

Walk softly,
Jim