Re: [at-l] Gear Question;BackPack

First a qualifier.....around here I used to be known as "cheap gear".
And my frugal tendancies are still strong although I have become
convinced that money spent to lighten the pack may be considered
well spent.  That said, I just can't see the need to spend that kind of
money on a pack for a growing boy.  I'd look to an external pack
because they have a greater range of adjustability and in many cases
are lighter than the externals.  I personally own a CampTrails external
which I bought used and have put a couple hundred miles on with
out any trouble.  Kelty also makes some nice ex-frames.  An pack
such as this can be purchased new for <$130.00 and will last until
you learn if your son wants to continue hiking and can make more
experienced choices as to the innie-outtie question.  Actually, even if
money were no object, I'd still suggest a CampTrails or Kelty exframe
pack for a growing kid because of the flexible sizing issue and lighter
weight.