Re: [at-l] Slik Sleeping Bag Liners

I had a Salt Designs silk liner with me in Georgia and North Carolina and couldn't stand it. It was made out of a corse silk and felt uncomfortable and cloying and I couldn't sleep in it. My 20 degree down is fine as long as I am willing to sleep in some clothes on extremely cold nights. When the warmer weather came, I found a 55 degree bag made by Kelty that is fantastic. It's rectangular and has synthetic fill on one side and a Nylon sheet on the other. With the fill side up I was comfortable to about 45 degrees, and on very warm nights (60 and up) I put the sheet side up and slept wonderfully with the fill underneath. The Nylon sheet/liner is soft and feels like cotton, the bag weighs under 3 pounds (mine is 2lbs. 7 oz.), and it cost me $75 new. It ought to be a great bag for Florida. Has anyone else used it?

--RenMan
-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Walters <jeffjw@geocities.com>
To: at-l@backcountry.net <at-l@backcountry.net>
Date: Thursday, December 17, 1998 10:31 AM
Subject: [at-l] Slik Sleeping Bag Liners

Just a couple simple questions for all the gear experts on this list.  I've been thinking about getting a silk sleeping bag liner to complement my 20 deg down bag when it is extremely cold and to be used alone when it is only a little cold out.  I do most of my backpacking in Florida and even when it is "cold" down here the down bag is overkill.

What is the approx. weight of a silk liner?
What temperature could you use it in (without a sleeping bag) and still keep warm?  (Let's assume tent usage.)

Thanks in advance for all the great responses ;)
Jeff