Re: [at-l] tough feet can be a problem

Paul Miller wrote:

> me feet get very hard and thick skined. you might think this is a good thing
> but they get so hard and thick at the heels that in fact the skin cracks.
> and it is quite painful when it does happen. it normaly cracks right after
> winter end and right after winter starts. Only twice a year but i am afraid
> the wear and tear on my feet might casue it to happen on a thruhike.  Does
> any one have a similar problem and/or have any suggestons as to what i can
> do to stop this while on the trail.  i am afraid the wounds may get
> bothersome and maybe even dangerous while on the trail.  I have talked to my
> doctor about it and he had nothing constructive to saw but make sure it does
> not get infected.  he told me not to worry about the skin and it was just me
> but nothign medcally wrong like and infection or a diesese<sp? sickness>.
>
> BotleNeck

I get it too - and you're right, it is painful, especially when trying
to hike on an open crack.  Best relief is vaseline, applied a couple of
times a day. That will usually heal it in a couple of days.  When the
skin is raw though, and you have to hike, put some moleskin over the
foot - that will close the gaping skin.  Jardine says it is related to
athletes foot, so prevention of athletes foot might help  - of course,
when your feet are in a dank dark wet warm environment all day every day
- that is difficult.
ginny