[at-l] tough feet can be a problem

me feet get very hard and thick skined. you might think this is a good thing
but they get so hard and thick at the heels that in fact the skin cracks.
and it is quite painful when it does happen. it normaly cracks right after
winter end and right after winter starts. Only twice a year but i am afraid
the wear and tear on my feet might casue it to happen on a thruhike.  Does
any one have a similar problem and/or have any suggestons as to what i can
do to stop this while on the trail.  i am afraid the wounds may get
bothersome and maybe even dangerous while on the trail.  I have talked to my
doctor about it and he had nothing constructive to saw but make sure it does
not get infected.  he told me not to worry about the skin and it was just me
but nothign medcally wrong like and infection or a diesese<sp? sickness>.

BotleNeck