[at-l] LT as Practice AT?

I am planning, when I can afford to and have all the neccessary equipment,
to hike the AT (who isn't? :-); however, I would like to go on a "practice"
trip before I go on "the real thing." My thoughts were to hike the Long
Trail in Vermont as the practice trip.

Has anyone else among us ever done this? Is there anything special that
would make the LT particularly different from the AT (gear, terrain,
mail-drops, etc.)? When would be the best time of year to hike the LT?
Which direction (N>S or S>N) do people generally travel?

Any other information you care to give would be appreciated.
Thanx in advance.

Timothy Clough
Class of 20??