[at-l] Wood vs Aluminum or Plastic

The real difference is in the style of snowshoe and the planned use. The new
high-tech aluminum, graphite and plastic snowshoes you find in all the
outfitters now have no place on unbroken snow like a large lake. I'll leave you
miles behind with my Maine-style, long tailed snowshoe. However if you are
walking on a ridge, or climbing hills, the shorter, plastic or metal, built in
crampon shoe is the way to go.

I winter hike on the flat, open lakes and rivers mostly, pulling a toboggan with
my gear rather than carrying a backpack. One of us will break trail for an hour
and then we'll swap. If anyone every comes along with those little short
ridge-walking shoes they are not allower to break trail and are generally
pulling up the very far rear...

It all depends on where you are going and what kind of snow you will be in.

I own 6 different styles of wood framed shoe now and use them all depending on
where I'm going and what I'll be doing. I don't own any of the plastic or metal
shoes - though I've hiked in them enough to know where they are best used and
where I won't use them.

-Paddler