Re: [at-l] Giardia's dirty little secret.

     I'm sorry. I feel that everyone's having to muscle through this pee
     contest in their email box is my fault.
     I've been responding privately (till now?) on an email factoid that I
     prefaced with "I didn't commit this to memory, but..." and have
     watched the (xxxxxxxxx) responses flow on since. I've even seen (from
     XXXXXXXX) private correspondences returned publically -- so much for
     trying to be less antagonistic.....

     At this point, I'll just say that there is NO evidence (original,
     empirical, repeatable evidence) that giardia (or any OTHER pathogen)
     is any MORE a backcountry threat now than one hundred years ago, but
     there IS evidence that giardia is dead, dead, dead at temperatures
     Muuuuuccchhh lower than boiling.

     (Oh, ok: 122dF/95% mortality, 140dF/98% mortality, 158dF/100%
     mortality, not after an hour, or twenty minutes, but HALF that, 10
     lousey minutes. [Another source said 131dF, but provided no source.])

     (See fc.net/~tdeagan/water/one.html    It's a dry read for the laity,
     but science IS that way sometimes. These people have no filters to
     sell, nor malpractice premiums to watch; they just report cold, hard,
     boring facts, without agenda. Read these to see where the other "fact"
     sheets actually get their facts.)

     Now, my working hypothesis in all of this was to try and answer the
     question I asked myself 10 years ago: Where'd all these water filters
     come from, and as a certifiable gear weenie, do I wanna git me one
     when I (one day) return to the fold of backpackers? The effort to
     answer the first part led me to lots of promotional materials which
     claimed pandemic rains of giardia and who-knows-what riddling the
     unsuspecting backcountry travelors' innards.
     But none of what I saw in the promotional materials supported the
     claim. OK, well, keep looking, keep shopping. But the more I shopped,
     the more the giardia "explosion" became a given, WITHOUT SUPPORT, and
     the less I shopped. Instead, I asked WHAT giardia?, and continued to
     look for the elusive histological answer. I continue to search, AND
     CONTINUE TO REMAIN OPEN TO DISCOURSE. (At least discouse related to
     original findings, methods, etc.......!!!)

     The closest thing I've found is a cite from one of the papers at
     fc.net., which implies NO CHANGE in conditions of giardia prevalence
     since at least 1972. My hike was 1979; none of us had filters, iodide,
     or pandemic rains of the squirts. How'd we survive? Luck of the Irish,
     must be. (Plus-which, you got to eat a peck before you go, you know.)

     On a gathering follow-up, Warren Doyle termed filter carriers silly,
     observing essentially the same thing as me: no need then (or very
     LITTLE need, and WAY overblown), and no need now. Now, cold, hard,
     boring science is not built on "I knew a guy who..." stories, but I
     look at the good Professor Doyle and see a guy who hiked at least
     twice before I did, again soon after, and since many more! While not
     empirically recorded, it was original observation recorded WITHOUT
     AGENDA (at least until filters became the "must have" item they are
     now).

     On a methodological note, again, I remain open to discourse. But as a
     sceptic (and one does not engage in research without being a sceptic),
     my working question remains WITHER THE PROBLEM? I will not swallow
     hype or hysteria intended for the gullible, by marketers intent on
     selling us up in dollars and pounds. Those who challenge NonFilterites
     as foolhardy do just that; they are lighter in the pocket, and heavier
     in pack. Their working question attempts to prove a negative: WHAT, NO
     PROBLEM? PAH! YOU'RE WRONG! AND STUPID, TO BOOT!

     When I pick up my kids tonight from daycare, I am doubley exposed to
     the most prevalent method of giardia transmission in the United States
     today, by a factor of (x) (an integer where 0<x<10). Filter in the
     woods? Would that I was that risk averse, I would not be a daddy!

     Remember to wash your hands before you eat that crow, boys.