[at-l] Gathering

Great Gathering.  It was fun to meet so many of the people on the list,
especially the silent ones.  I wish I could have met more of you - so
much to do, so little time. For those who left early, you missed a great
Sunday night program. If you ever get a chance to hear Steve Newman "the
Worldwalker" talk again - go for it.  I laughed, I cried, I laughed
until I cried - it was terrific.  Very inspirational too, even for those
of us who will never do anything that ambitious.

I have a question for those who were there who are dreamers - I'd really
like to know, so if you want to do it privately rather than publicly,
please do so - did going to the Gathering, meeting past and present
thruhikers, seeing and listening to straight talk about your dream
trails make you more eager to go, or make you decide to think about it a
little more before making a decision? In other words (I'm really tired
and my cold has me more than a bit fuzzy, so words are a bit hard to
find) - did going to the Gathering encourage you or discourage you - or
both?

For me - we had 2 workshops on the CDT, with pictures.  We talked to
several people who have hiked it all the way and heard some of their
stories. I got answers to many of my questions - the ones I could
remember to ask.  I feel both excited and anxious to go, and more scared
than ever.  Ice axes! 30 miles between water sources? Miles and miles of
open desert (100 miles between trees)!  So much beauty, but it is going
to be hard!

I'm glad I went - but reality can be hard to handle.  I'll think about
it later, and instead think of Solar Bear's tutu.  Thank you Sandpiper!
Ginny