Re: [at-l] Gathering

In a message dated 10/12/98 5:20:01 PM EST, jrowen@ibm.net writes:

>  I'd really
>  like to know, so if you want to do it privately rather than publicly,
>  please do so - did going to the Gathering, meeting past and present
>  thruhikers, seeing and listening to straight talk about your dream
>  trails make you more eager to go, or make you decide to think about it a
>  little more before making a decision? In other words (I'm really tired
>  and my cold has me more than a bit fuzzy, so words are a bit hard to
>  find) - did going to the Gathering encourage you or discourage you - or
>  both?

No question - encouragement all the way.  If I had to pick between events,
only go to one, it would be the Gathering.  The workshops we attended made
such a difference in our way of thinking, such an impact on how we plan to go
about planning - just incredible.  I wasn't so thrilled with the miles between
the campsite and the college, and it was confusing at times, and we were late
for everything <g> but . . . it was so well worth it, and so great to meet all
the people from the list.  But meeting the thru hikers, some I'd met before,
others never - they were so wonderfully patient with all the questions, and
were never like "THIS is the way to do it, my way", they were more like, "this
is how *I* did it, but you have to find what works for you."  It was like a
huge family reunion with family you've never met.  So the bonus of sitting
around the fire talking Trail, meeting all the listers (an incredible turnout)
and the advantage of the slideshows (Mikes left tears in my eyes) and
workshops - I have to say, to your question, a resounding yes <g>

the Redhead
Ga > Me  00