Re: [at-l] Re: Hunting & armed stupidity

I have been shot at in the woods twice. Once while hiking, carrying an orange
backpack and singing loudly with a buddy on the trail. No way could have been
mistaken for deer. I heard the bullet "sing" by through the trees overhead. My
hiking partner and I fell to the ground and started yelling and whistling at
the top of our lungs. We heard the "mighty hunter" crash off through the trees
and caught a glimpse of him about 50 yards away across a small creek. My
partner wanted to go teach the guy a lesson. My vote was to get the #*%% out
of there. We left in a hurry.

The second time was while hunting. I was bow hunting in a clearcut about 200
yards in from the road. I had been in my stand since about 3:30 in the
morning, and the sun was now full up behind me. There was a nice young buck
working his way up the hill toward me. I was well hidden behind some stumpage,
waiting patiently, in full camo. He would be within range in just a few
minutes. Adrenaline was pumping and I feared the buck would hear my heart
pounding - it was so loud in my ears.  Just then a big-ol truck pulled up on
the road below and a couple of hunters got out. They started scoping the hill
and shot almost immediately at the buck just below me. In fareness to the road
hunters, there was no way they knew I was there.  The buck came bounding up
the hill at full speed and literally leaped over my stump. The stump took a
hit from the gun hunters below, sending fragments flying. They must have fired
10-12 shots before stopping. I simply froze behind the stump. I felt like I
was in a war zone. After 10 minutes of silence the truck drove away. I was
unable to stand for another 30 minutes - my legs were too weak. I pulled out
my hunter-orange vest and got out of the woods as fast as I could get to my truck.

I don't hunt during rifle season any more. I've never seen a bow hunter take a
sound shot, or try to kill a running deer at 200 yards.

-Paddler